We're sponsored by Glossop Caravans


22 July 2019

The Lions claimed the two-league points with a 30-12 victory over Barrow Raiders.

Five tries helped see the Lions claim a 30-12 victory over Barrow Raiders at Heywood Road in the Betfred Championship.

Another good win for the Lions against a strong Barrow side helped them to possibly secure their place in the Championship for next season and maybe there are good things to come playing an exciting brand of rugby.

The Raiders made the better start and almost scored in the opening few minutes but Liam Paisleys kick was too strong for the attack and then Matty Ashton had a try cancelled out for the Lions for obstruction in the build up.

Jamie Dallimore put the Raiders ahead on twenty minutes when he landed a simple penalty for holding back but the Lions forced a goal line drop out three minutes later and from the kick and build up some good passing saw Ashton score on the left and Jack Hansen converted.

It got even better four minutes later when a great short pass from Rob Fairclough sent Frankie Halton racing away to score under the posts and again Hansen made no mistake. The lead for the Lions was stretched seven minutes from the break when Hansen converted a penalty goal.

There was an injury to Lewis Charnock just before the break when he went down trying to tackle and went off for a head test, not to see any further action and in the dying seconds of the half Hansen attempted a drop goal as the hooter sounded but it drifted wide.

Again, in the second half the Raiders started well and forced a goal line drop out four minutes in and from this pressure on the line, it saw Tee Ritson go over on the left but the Dallimore conversion attempt struck the post and missed.

Dallimore was then sent back to the sin bin for pulling back on Richard Lepori as he tried to score in the right corner for what easily could have turned out to be a penalty try but from the penalty pressure the Lions did score when Rhodri Lloyd crossed on the left but Hansen missed the conversion.

A spectacular overhead pass from Samy Kibula almost got Lepori in at the corner but it just drifted forward, but Raiders hit back when a good passing movement saw Luke Cresswell score and Ben White added the conversion to bring them within six.

The scores could have been level two minutes later when Ritson appeared to have scored under the posts but the touch judge alerted the referee to him being offside in the build up. Hansen missed a penalty attempt on the hour but did add one nine minutes later for a trip in the tackle.

Stargroth Amean, who had been causing problems for the Lions defence all afternoon, had to leave the field with eight minutes left when he was tackled in an awkward position with his leg being bent back as he slipped into Gavin Bennion and the incident was placed on report by the official.

There was no penalty from the tackle and with the Lions in possession of the ball it was moved swiftly left and Mike Butt finished the move off with the try in the corner but Hansen was off target again.

The Lions finished the game in style and a n excellent passing movement saw Harry Smith break through and score under the posts and Hansen converted this one to give the home side the points and the victory.

Ian Rigg reporting from Heywood Road.


Lions: Ashton, Butt, Lloyd, Mullen, Lepori, Hansen, Fairclough, Bennion, Waterworth, Hatton, Wells, Halton, P.Jones.

Subs: Brickhill, Gregson, Smith, Kibula.

Tries: Ashton (25′), Halton (29′), Lloyd (50′), Butt (74′), Smith (78′)

Goals: Hansen 5/8

Raiders: Cresswell, Ritson, Amean, Hulme, Cross, Dallimore, Charnock, Seguier, Puara, Susino, Paisley, Stack, Aspinwall.

Subs: White, Walne, Walker, Duffy.

Tries: Ritson (45′), Cresswell (56′)

Goals: Dallimore 1/2, White 1/1

HT: 14-2 FT: 30-12

Referee: Gareth Hewer

Attendance: 984

Photo credits: Emily Parker and Sarah Trace


Sale FC
Primus Traffic Management
Glossop Caravans
Created by Rugby League World Cup England 2021
Camway Installations
Daisymill Technologies
Swinton Lions Supporters Trust