We're sponsored by Glossop Caravans


08 April 2018

Swinton came within minutes of securing their second consecutive point in the Championship, only for a late Simon Brown drop goal to steal the victory for Sheffield Eagles.

Marcus Webb scored his first try of the season against the Eagles

A Simon Brown drop goal two minutes from time secured the points in this end to end game where both teams had chances galore but Mark Aston’s team held out despite a late Lions onslaught.

Chris Hankinson put the Lions in the lead in the sixth minute with a penalty goal but it was Eagles who hit back shortly afterwards when they broke down the right and Ben Blackmore took the final pass to score under the posts, Oscar Thomas adding the simple conversion.

Marcus Webb then had a chance for the Lions on the right but Illies Macani kicked the bouncing ball into the crowd. Gavin Bennion and Luke Waterworth were both held up within a minute and then to make it worse Swinton lost the ball on the last tackle. Jon Magrin went close for Eagles just before the break when he grounded the ball by posts, however it was judged a double movement and the Lions had the penalty on their own line. Once they moved up field but a Josh Woods pass near the Eagles line was intercepted by Blackmore and he raced away to score his second and again this was converted by Thomas as the half time hooter sounded.

The Lions started brightly in the second half and were soon on the board when Webb scored in the right corner and Hankinson added a good conversion from the touchline to put his team back in the contest. However this was short lived when Macani broke down the left to score by the posts and Thomas again converted to stretch the advantage.

Swinton were getting stronger and stronger and full back Craig Mullen scored the next try after a good pass by Woods but Hankinson could not convert this one. The Lions were relentless in attacking the Eagles line, but the scrambling defence held out. It was only a matter of time before Sheffield cracked and just six minutes from time, Mullen put Hankinson through a large gap to score and add the conversion to level the scores. 

It was game on but with just two minutes left and on the last tackle, Brown slotted the drop goal between the posts to steal the victory for his side and the Lions did not have time to hit back.

Ian Rigg reporting from Heywood Road, Sale


Lions: 30. Craig Mullen, 16. Liam Forsyth, 3. Chris Hankinson, 11. Rhodri Lloyd, 2. Marcus Webb, 31. Josh Woods, 7. Jack Hansen, 33. Gavin Bennion, 9. Luke Waterworth, 8. Andy Bracek, 18. Mark Nicholson, 25. Will Hope, 10. Andy Thornley

Subs (All Used): 15. Ben Austin, 32. Callum Field, 14. Hayden Hansen, 17. Kyle Shelford

Tries: Webb (47), Mullen (63), Hankinson (74)   Goals: Hankinson 3/4


Eagles: 30. Matty Costello, 2. Illies Macani, 26. James Bentley, 5. Ben Blackmore, 1. Ryan Miller, 6. Oscar Thomas, 19. Simon Brown, 8. Mark Offerdahl, 14. Greg Burns, 12. Shaun Pick, 27. Jack Ashworth, 28. Matthew Lees, 9. Matty Fozard

Subs: 17. Daniel Igbinedion, 20. Max Garcia, 21. Blake Broadbent (NU), 10. Jon Magrin

Tries: Blackmore (12,39), Macani (51)   Goals: Thomas 3/3   Drop Goal: Brown – 1

Penalty Count: 10-3   Half Time: 2-12   Referee: John McMullen   Attendance: 532



Sale FC
Primus Traffic Management
Glossop Caravans
Created by Rugby League World Cup England 2021
Camway Installations
Daisymill Technologies
Swinton Lions Supporters Trust